HILMAN LATIEF, Ph.D.
Vice Rector for Student Affairs and Alumni
Universitas Muhammadiyah Yogyakarta
Jl. Lingkar Selatan Tamantirto Kasihan, Bantul,
Telp. (+62274) 387656, Fax. (+62274)387646,
- 2008-2012 Ph.D., Utrecht University, the Netherlands.
- 2004 – 2005 Master of Arts, Western Michigan University, USA.
- 2000 – 2002 Master of Arts, Gadjah Mada University, Indonesia.
- 1994 -1999 Bachelor of Arts, the State Institute of Islamic Studies, Yogyakarta, Indonesia.
- Contemporary Islamic Social and intellectual history, Philanthropy, Religion and Development, and Islam in Southeast Asia.
EMPLOYMENT AND POSITION
- 2017-present, Vice Rector for Student Affairs and Alumni
- 2013-2017, Director of Board of Research, Publishing and Community Development (LP3M), Muhammadiyah University of Yogyakarta (UMY).
- 2005-2007, Asst. of Vice Rector in Student and Alumni Affairs, UMY.
- 2000 – Current. Lecturer. UMY.
- 2015-2020. Chairman of Muhammadiyah Charity Board (LAZISMU).
- 2005-2015. Division of Cadre and Human Resource Development (MPK), the Central Board of Muhammadiyah.
- 2013-Current. Division of Department of Foreign Affairs, the Central Board of KAHMI.
- 2008 – current Research Associate, Maarif Institute for Culture and Humanity
- 2014 (October) Alumni Achievement Award Winner of the College of Arts and Sciences, Western Michigan University (WMU), USA.
- 2014 Best Lecture Achievement Award, awarded by the Rector of Muhammadiyah University of Yogyakarta.
- Best Paper and Presentation Award 2012, awarded by the Directorate of Higher Education, the Ministry of Religious Affairs during the Annual International Conference in Islamic Studies, Surabaya 5-7 November 2012.
- Best M.A. Thesis for publication 2012, selected and published by the Directorate of Higher Education, the Ministry of Religious Affairs of the Republic of Indonesia. The thesis title is “Comparative Religion in Medieval Muslim Literature: Abu Rayhan al-Biruni and Abd al-Karim al-Sharastani on Religions of the Hind,” Western Michigan University, 2005.
SCHOLARSHIP, FELLOWSHIPS & RESEARCH GRANT
- 2017 Research Grant from PPIM adn CSRC, UIN Syarif Hidayatullah.
- 2016 Research Grant from PolGov, Gadjah Mada University.
- 2016 international Collaborative Research Grant from Universitas Muhammadiyah Yogyakarta.
- 2015 Research Grant from the Ministry of Research and Technology and Higher Education.
- 2015 Community Development Grant from the Ministry of Research and Technology and Higher Education.
- 2014 International publication Grant, selected by DP2M, the Higher Education General, the Ministry of Education and Culture.
- 2014 Book Grant from DP2M, the Higher Education General, the Ministry of Education and Culture.
- Research Grant from the Research, Publication and Community Development (LP3M), Universitas Muhammadiyah Yogakarta.
- 2013 (July-September). Post Doctoral/Visiting Research Fellow, KITLV ((The Royal Netherlands Institute of Southeast Asian and Caribbean Studies), the Netherlands.
- 2008-2012. Ph.D. Research Fellow at Leiden University, the Netherlands.
- 2010-2012. Member of a Research and Workshop Group on “Indigenous Charity in the Modern World” led by Prof. Raj Brown (International Business, Royal Holloway, University of London), funded by The Humanities and Social Sciences Centre of Hong Kong University.
- 2011 Book Grant from DP2M, the Higher Education General, the Ministry of Education.
- 2008 – 2012. Scholarship from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Royal Dutch Government, the Netherlands, under the ‘Training Indonesia’s Young Leaders programme”
- 2008 (January – December) Research fellow at the International Institute for the Study of Islam in the Modern World/ISIM.
- 2008 – 2010 Research Scholarship for Doctoral Program, the Ministry of Education of the Republic of Indonesia.
- 2008 (March-Oct) Research Grant, the Department of Higher Education, the Ministry of Education of the Republic of Indonesia.
- 2007 (March-July) Research Grant, Board of Research and Educational Development (LP3) Muhammadiyah University of Yogyakarta.
- 2006 (March-June) Research Grant, Center for Language and Culture, State Islamic University, Syarif Hidayatullah, Jakarta.
- 2003 – 2005 Scholarship, Fulbright Scholarship Program, Western Michigan University/USA.
- 2003 (March – June) Research Grant, the Asia Foundation-PSAP.
- 2002 (August – December) Research Grant, the Ministry of Religious Affairs of the Republic of Indonesia.
- 2000-2002 Full Year Scholarship, Graduate Scholarship Program, the Ministry of Education, the Republic of Indonesia.
- 1999 Mizan Award, Minor Thesis Research Grant (Undergraduate Program), PT Mizan Pustaka, Bandung.
- 1998, Partial Scholarship, the Ministry of Religious Affairs, the Republic of Indonesia.
CONFERENCE/PAPER PRESENTATION/ LECTURE/WORKSHOP
- “Islamic Philanthropy and Sustainable Healthcare Delivery in the Muslim World,” Harvard Medical School, Dubai Global Health Delivery, UEA, August and November 2016.
- (Speaker), Seminar on “Islam and Charities in Indonesia,” Muhammadiyah International Forum, Oxford Center of Islamic Studies, University of Oxford, UK, June 2016.
- (Speaker), Seminar on “Islam and Cultural Diversity in Indonesia,” Muhammadiyah International Forum-, Southampton University, Southampton, UK, June 2016.
- (Speaker) International Conference on Religion and Development in Southeast Asia, Kyoto University and Consortium for Southeast Asian Studies in Asia, December 12-13, 2015.
- (Invited Speaker), Guest Lecture at Nanzan University-Nagoya and Sophia University-Tokyo, October 2015.
- (Invited Speaker), “Continuity and Change in the Studies on Islamic Charities in Indonesia,” International Conference: Dynamics of the Studies on Indonesian Islam: Tribute to Karel Steenbrink and Martin van Bruinessen, Pascasarjana Universitas Islam Negeri Sunan Kalijaga Yogyakarta November 18-19, 2014.
- (Invited Speaker) Public Lecture on “Islamic Charities, Transnationalism, and Globalization,” Western Michigan University, Oct 23 2014.
- (Invited discussant/contributor), “Conference of 100 year Caritas,” July 2-4, 2014, Vught and Tilburg University, the Netherlands, funded by CORDAID.
- (Invited Speaker), “Islamic Renewal, Philanthropy and Citizenship,” Cosmopolis Conference: The Making of Religious Traditions in the Indonesian Archipelago: History and Heritage in Global Perspective (1600-1940), Gadjah Mada University in cooperation with Leiden University, 20-22 June 2014.
- (Speaker), “Transnational Islamic Charities, Dakwah and Globalization,” Public Lecture (panel with Prof. James W. Morrison-Boston College), co-hosted by the Faculty of Islamic Studies-Muhammadiyah University of Yogyakarta, AIFIS (American Institute for Indonesian Studies), LP3M, and Afkaruna Journal for Islamic Studies, 17 June 2014.
- (Speaker), “Philanthropy and Muslim Citizenship in Post New Order Era,” KITLV-IIAS Seminar, Leiden, 18 September 2013.
- (Speaker), “Establishing Patronage or Promoting Collective Changes? The Political Networks of Islamic Charities and the Politics of Development in Indonesia,” the International Conference on Religion and the Politics of Development: Priests, Potentates and “Progress”, 28 – 29 August 2013, Singapore.
- (Convenor, with Z. Zainal Mutaqin), Conference on Islamic Humanitarianism: Voices and Experiences from Southeast Asia, 26-27 July 2013, co-sponsored by the Graduate School of Muhammadiyah University of Yogyakarta, the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), Dompet Dhuafa, and LAZISMU.
- (Invited Speaker), “Encountering Domestic Needs: The Presence of International Islamic Relief Organizations in Indonesia,” International Workshop on Philanthropy, Globalization, and Non State Welfare, the University of Hong Kong, 6-9 December 2012. Sponsored by The Hong Kong Institute for Humanities and Social Sciences (HIHSS), The University of Hong Kong.
- (Speaker), In Search of a New Social Concern for the Public Good: Muhammadiyah’s Philanthropic Activism and Social Entrepreneurship, International Research Conference on Muhammadiyah (ICRM) on “Discourse on the Search for a Renewed Identity of Muhammadiyah for this post Centennial Era,” Sponsored by The University of Muhammadiyah Malang, East Java, 29 November -2 December 2012.
- (Speaker), “Islamic Philanthropy and Community Development,” The Ministry of Religious Affairs, Ciamis-District, West Java, 28 November 2012.
- (Speaker), “Strengthening Humanity or Serving Congregation? Islamic Charities and Dakwah Movements in a Muslim Minority Island”, Annual International Islamic Studies Conference, IAIN Surabaya and the Ministry of Religious Affairs, 5-7 November 2012. (Awarded Best Paper and Best Presentation)
- (Invited Speaker), “Elderly, Charity, and Religion,” International Workshop on Elderly Society and Development, Co-sponsored by AUSAID, The Asia Foundation, Surveymeter, The University of Indonesia, and Gadjah Mada University, 20-21 November 2012.
- (Invited Guest Lecture), “Islamic Philanthropy and Education,” Post Graduate Program, STAIN Salatiga, 23 October 2012.
- (Invited Speaker), “Shaping Islamic Humanitarianism: Lessons from Islamic Relief NGOs in Indonesia,” International Seminar on Islam and International Humanitarian Law, Hosted by the Facullty of Shari’a and Law, the State Islamic University-Sunan Kalijaga Yogyakarta, and co sponsored by the ICRC (International Committe of the Red Cross) and Mizan Publishing, 15 May 2012.
- (Speaker), “How Does the Private Sector Engage Social-Welfare Enterprises?: Corporate (Islamic) Philanthropy in Indonesia,” International Workshop on Charities and Legitimacy of Organizations, Law, Accountability, and Transparency, Bogazici University, Turkey 12-18 December 2011. Sponsored by The Hong Kong Institute for Humanities and Social Sciences HIHSS), The University of Hong Kong.
- (Invited Speaker), “The Making of Social Islam: Welfare, Dakwa and Politics,” Symposium on Islam and Muslim Societies, Leiden University Center for Islamic Studies, 23 March 2011.
- (Invited Speaker), “Medical Charities, Disaster Relief, and Public Healthcare: Faith-based Health NGOs in Post Disaster Aceh and Nias,” International Workshop on Medical Charities in Asia and Middle East, 29 November – 3 December, 2010, Georgetown, Penang, Malaysia. Sponsored by The Hong Kong Institute for Humanities and Social Sciences (HIHSS), The University of Hong Kong.
- (Presenter/speaker) “Islam and Humanitarian Affairs: The Muslim Middle Class and New Patterns of Social Activism,” International Conference on Islam in Comparative international perspective,” (co-)sponsored by Indonesian Young Leader Programmes-Leiden and Center for the study of Islam and societies-UIN Syarif Hidayatullah, Bogor, 26-30 January 2011.
- (Guest Lecture) “Islam in Indonesië” in Indonesiëcursus 2009 held by KITLV on November 6 2009 in Vrye Universiteit, Amsterdam.
- (Presenter/Speaker), “Internationalizing Local Aid: Charity Activism, Social Solidarity and Islamic Movement in Contemporary Indonesia Islam,” presented in the First International Graduate Student Conference on Indonesia, Gadjah Mada University and Academy Professorship Indonesia in Social Sciences and Humanities (KNAW-AIPI), December 1 – 4, 2009.
- (Speaker/presenter), “Religion and Welfare Activism: Philanthropic Associations in Indonesia,” Summer Schools, Religion, Culture and Society at Univerisair Centrum Sint-Ignatius Antwerpen (UCSIA), Belgium, 1st – 8th Sept 2008.
- (Speaker/presenter) “Searching for the ‘True Islam’: An assessment to the selected Islamic books inside the university-based Halaqah and their impact on youth culture,” International Conference on Muslim Youth as Agents of Change, Batu-Malang, 26-29 November 2007.
- (Speaker/presenter) “Poverty and Social Responsibility in Indonesian Islam: The Prospect and Limits of Muhammadiyah’s Charitable Institutions,” Research Seminar, Religion and Globalization Friend or Foes?, Yogyakarta 23-26 May 2006, co-sponsored by the Center for Religious and Cross Cultural Studies, Gadjah Mada University, and led by Prof. Farid Essack and Prof. Paul Knitter.
- (Speaker/presenter) “The Resurgence of the Lovers of the Ahl al-Bait: The Identity of the Shi’ite Muslims in the Modern Indonesia,” Muslims and Islam in the Chaotic Modern World: Relations among Muslims Themselves and with Others, AMSS (American Muslim Social Scientist) 34th Annual Conference, September 30-October 2, 2005, co-sponsored by Temple University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania,
- (Speaker/ presenter) “Fight for the Public Sphere: Liberal vis a vis Conservative Muslims (Lessons from Indonesia),” Regional Meeting American Academy of Religion, Midwest Conference, 8-9 April 2005, DePaul University, Chicago, IL.
- (Speaker/presenter) “The Muslim Puritans in Southeast Asia: The Majlis Tarjih’s Discourse on Religious Pluralism After the 43rd Muhammadiyah Congress,” Crossroads of Faith: Religious Resurgence and New Religious Movements in Southeast Asia, Athens 4-5 March 2005, co-sponsored by Northern Illinois University-Ohio University, OH.
Books and Chapters in English
- Latief, Hilman. “Marketising Piety through Charitable Work: Islamic Charities and the Islamisation of Middle Class Families in Indonesia,” in Filippo Osella and Daromir Rudnyckyj (eds.), Religion and the Morality of Market (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2017).
- Latief, Hilman. (with R. Alpha Amirrachman) “Islamic Philanthropy and the Rights to Education: Modalities of Education Provision for Underprivileged Groups in Post-New Order Indonesia” in Khun Eng Kuah, Jason Eng Thye Tan (eds.), Educating Marginalized Communities in East and Southeast Asia State, civil society and NGO partnerships (London and New York: Routledge, 2017)
- Latief, Hilman. (Editor), “Rediscovering Peace: Religion, Culture and Politics in the Age of Crisis, (Yogyakarta and Kuala Lumpur: LP3M UMY and Perdana Global Peace Foundation/PGPF-Malaysia, 2016).
- Latief, Hilman. Comparative Religion in Medieval Muslim Literature (Jakarta: The Directorate of Higher Education, the Ministry of Religious Affairs, 2012).
- Latief, Hilman. “Islam and Humanitarian Affairs: The Middle Class and New Patterns of Social Activism,” in Kees van Dijk and Jajat Burhanuddin (eds.), Islam in Indonesia: Contrasting Images and Interpretations (Amsterdam: Amsterdam University Press, 2013), 173-194. ISBN: 978-90-8964-423-7
Articles (Peer-Reviewed Academic Journal) in English
- Latief, Hilman. “Addressing Unfortunate Wayfarer: Islamic Philanthropy and Indonesian Migrant Workers in Hong Kong,” The Austrian Journal of South-East Asian Studies, 10 (2) (2017).
- Latief, Hilman. “Philanthropy and “Muslim Citizenship” in Post-Suharto Indonesia,” Southeast Asian Studies, Vol 5, No. 2 (August 2016), pp. 269-286. Published by Center for Southeast Asian Studies, Kyoto University.
- Latief, Hilman. “Gulf Charitable Organizations in Southeast Asia,” http://www.mei.edu/content/map/gulf-charitable-organizations-southeast-asia. (Dec. 2014)
- Latief, Hilman. “Contesting Almsgiving in Post New Order Indonesia,” American Journal of Islamic Social Sciences, vol. 31, No. 1 (Winter 2014), pp. 16-50.
- Latief, Hilman. “The Politics of Benevolence: Political Patronage of Party-based Charitable Organizations in Contemporary Indonesian Islam,” Al-Jamiah: Journal of Islamic Studies, Vol. 51, No. 2 (2013), pp. 91-118. Accredited journal by the Ministry of Education.
- Latief, Hilman. “Islamic Philanthropy and the Private Sector in Indonesia,” Indonesian Journal of Islam and Muslim Societies, Vol. 3, No. 2 (2013), pp. 175-201.
- Latief, Hilman. “Islamic Charities and the Dakwah Movement in a Muslim Minority Island: The Case of Niasan Muslims,” Journal of Indonesian Islam, Vol. 6, No. 2 (December 2012), pp. 221-244. Accredited journal by the Ministry of Education.
- Latief, Hilman. “Symbolic and Ideological Contestation over Humanitarian Emblems: The Red Crescent in Islamizing Indonesia,” Studia Islamika 18, no. 2 (2011), pp. 249-286. ISSN: 0742-6763. Accredited journal by the Ministry of Education.
- Latief, Hilman. “Health Provision for the Poor: Islamic Aid and the Rise of Charitable Clinics in Indonesia,” Journal of Southeast Asia Research, 18, 3 (September 2010), pp. 503-553. Published by SOAS-University of London.
- Latief, Hilman. “Youth, Mosque, and Islamic Activism: Islamic Sources Books in University-based Halaqah,” Kultur: The Indonesian Journal for Muslim Culture, Volume 5, No. 1 (2010), 63-88.
- Latief, Hilman. “The Identity of Shi’a Sympathizers in Contemporary Indonesia: An Overview,” Journal of Indonesian Islam, Vol. 1 No. 3 (Dec 2008), pp. 300-335. Published by the State Institute of Islamic Studies, Sunan Ampel-Surabaya.
- Latief, Hilman. “Developing Cross-Sector Coherence: Islamic Philanthropy, Agenda of Third Sector Organization and Civil Society in Indonesia (bilingual),” Special issues on Discourse of Zakat Management: Between Government and Civil Society, Journal of Zakat and Empowering, Volume 1 (Sya’ban 1429/August 2008), 48-61. ISSN 1979-9349.
- Latief, Hilman. “Comparative Religion in Medieval Muslim Literature,” American Journal of Islamic Social Sciences, Vol. 23, no. 4 (Fall 2006), pp. 28-62. Published by American Muslim Social Scientist. ISSN: 0742-6763
- Latief, Hilman. “The Reinvigoration of Pesantren: The Social and Political Roles of Kiai in the Dutch Colonial Era, Millah (Universitas Islam Indonesia) Vol. III. No.1, August 2003, pp. 66-75. ISSN 1412-0992
- Kersten, Karrol. Islam in Indonesia: the Contest for Society (London: Hurst, 2015), in Afkaruna: Indonesian Interdisciplinary Journal of Islamic Studies, Vol. 12, No. 1 (2016), pp. 135-138.
- Fauzia, Amelia (2013), Faith and the State: A History of Islamic Philanthropy in Indonesia (Leiden, Boston: Brill, 2013), in Journal of Pacific Affairs, Vol. 88, No. 1 (2015), pp. 231-233.
- Nakamura, Mitsuo (2012), The Crescent Arises over the Banyan Tree: A Study of the Movement in Central Javanese Town, c. 1910-2010, 2nd Enlarged Edition (Singapore: ISEAS, 2012), in Studi Islamika, Jakarta 2013.
- Harmsen, Egbert (2008), Islam, Civil Society, and Social Work: Muslim Voluntary Welfare Associations in Jordan between Patronage and Empowerment. Amsterdam: Amsterdam University Press, in American Journal of Islamic Social Sciences, Volume 26, Winter 2009, pp. 106-109.
- Irfan Abubakar & Chaider S. Bamualim (eds.) (2007), Filantropi Islam & Keadilan Sosial: Studi tentang Potensi, Tradisi, dan Pemanfaatan Filantropi Islam di Indonesia (Jakarta: UIN Syarif Hidayatullah), in Kultur: The Indonesian Journal for Muslim Cultures, Volume 4, Number 1, 2009.
Books and Chapters Bahasa Indonesia
- Latief, Hilman. Post Puritanisme: Pemikiran dan Arah Baru Gerakan Islami Modernis di Indonesia 1995-2015 (Yogyakarta: LP3M UMY, 2017), ISBN 978-602-7577-64-0.
- Latief, Hilman. (with Zezen Zainal Mutaqin)) Islam dan Urusan Kemanusiaan: Konflik, Perdamaian dan Filantropi (Islam and Humanitarian Affairs: Conflict, Peace and Philanthropy) (Jakarta: Serambi & ICRC, 2015). ISBN 978-602-290-024-5.
- Latief, Hilman. Politik Filantropi Islam di Indonesia: Negara, Pasar, dan Masyarakat Sipil (The Politics of Islamic Philanthropy in Indonesia: the State, Market and Civil Society) (Yogyakarta: Ombak, 2013). ISBN 978-602-258-067-6.
- Latief, Hilman. Melayani Umat: Filantropi Islam dan Ideologi Kesejahteraan Kaum Modernis (Serving the Community: Islamic Philanthropy and Welfare-Ideology of the Modernists) (Jakarta: Gramedia, 2010). ISBN: 978-979-22-5990-2.
- Latief, Hilman. “Syafii Maarif dan Pengarusutamaan Islam Moderat di Indonesia” (Syafii Maarif and the Moderation of Indonesian Islam) dalam Raja Ahmad Suwaedy dan Juli Antoni (eds.) Para Pembaharu: Pemikiran dan Gerakan Islam di Asia Tenggara (The Muslim Reformers: The Islamic Thought and Movement in Southeast Asia) (Jakarta and Bangkok: Seams for Freedom and Enlightenment & the Wahid Institute, 2009).
- Latief, Hilman. Nasr Hamid Abu Zaid dan Kritik Teks Keagamaan (Nasr Hamid Abu Zaid and the Critique of Religious Text), Yogyakarta: Elsaqpress, 2003. ISBN 979-97421-5-3. [xv-179 pages including index]
- Latief, Hilman (Ed.). Islam dan Pengembangan Disiplin Ilmu (Islam and Inter-disciplinary Studies), Yogyakarta: LPPI UMY, 2003. ISBN 979-97496-0-3 [vi-186 pages]
- Latief, Hilman., Hermeneutika Alquran Mazhab Yogya (Quranic Hermeneutics: “The Yogya’s School of Thought”), Yogyakarta: Forstudia & Islamika, 2003).
Articles (Journals) in Bahasa Indonesia
- Latief, Hilman. (with Syarif As’ad & Miftakhul Khasanah). “Fleksibilitas Pemaknaan Wakaf Tunai di Indonesia: Studi terhadap Lembaga Filantropi dan Lembaga Keuangan,” Vol 11, No 1 (2015): Januari – Juni 2015, 66-95.
- Latief, Hilman. Menelaah Gerakan Modernis-Reformis Islam melalui Kota Gede: Pembacaan Seorang Antropolog Jepang, Studia Islamika 20, no. 2 (2013), pp. 377-392. ISSN: 0742-6763. Accredited journal by the Ministry of Education.
- Latief, Hilman. “Kemiskinan dan Perkembangan Konsep Kesejahteraan: Studi tentang Gerakan Filantropi di Muhammadiyah,” (Poverty and the Development of the Concept of Welfare: A Study of the Philanthropic Movement of the Muhammadiyah) Ijtihad: Jurnal Wacana Hukum Islam dan Kemanusiaan (STAIN Surakarta), Vol. 7, No. 1 (June 2007), pp. 57-88. ISSN: 1411-9544.
- Latief, Hilman. “Kemandirian, Solidaritas Sosial dan Kerelawanan: Pemaknaan Filantropi dalam Masyarakat Minoritas Muslim, Kasus Australia dan Singapora” (Independency, Social Solidarity and Voluntarism: Philanthropic Activism among Muslim Minority in Australia and Singapore) Al-Wasathiyyah, International Center for Islam and Pluralism/ICIP Volume 2 Number 9 (2007).
- Latief, Hilman. “Kemiskinan dan Kedermawanan: Memaknai Ideologi Kesejahteraan” (Poverty and Charity: A Redefinition of Welfare Ideology), Maarif, 2 No 1 (January 2007), pp. 142-158.
- Latief, Hilman. “Memaknai Kembali Pelayan Sosial Muhammadiyah (Muhammadiyah’s Social Service: A Reconsideration), Maarif, 2 No 3 (Marc 2007), pp. 32-38.
- Latief, Hilman. “Literatur Muslim Abad Pertengahan tentang Agama dan Sekte: Sebuah Survey Awal,” (Medieval Muslim Literature on Religions and Sects) Essensia: Jurnal ilmu-ilmu Ushuluddin (IAIN Sunan Kalijaga Yogyakarta), Vol. 7, No. 2 (Juli 2006), pp. 143-163. ISSN: 1411-3775.
- Latief, Hilman. “Sampai Kapankah Muhammadiyah Bisa Bertahan: Beberapa Catatan dan Refleksi tentang Pembaharuan Muhammadiyah” (Notes and Reflections on Muhammadiyah’s Socio-Religious Reforms), Inovasi, No. 4 TH. XIV / 2005. ISSN 0215-7160, pp. 88-96.
- Latief, Hilman. “Pergulatan Politik Pesantren di Era Multipartai: Studi Kasus di Kampung Mlangi” (The Political Struggle of Pesantrens in Multi-Party Era: A Preliminary Study in the Mlangi Village-Yogyakarta), Afkaruna: Jurnal Pemikiran Islam (Fakultas Agama Islam, Universitas Muhammadiyah Yogyakarta), vol. 2. No. 1, Januari-Juni 2004, pp. 72-103
- Latief, Hilman. “Post-Puritanisme Muhammadiyah: Studi Pergulatan Wacana Keagamaan Kaum Muda Muhammadiyah 1995-2002” (Post-Puritanism: A Study of Muhammadiyah Youth’s Religious Discourse 1995-2002), Tanwîr, 1, No. 2, July 2003, pp. 43-102.
- Latief, Hilman. “Agama dan Identitas Ras: Refleksi Teologis Malcolm X dan Martin Luther King Jr. tentang Tuhan dan Manusia,” (Religion and Racial Identity: Theological Reflection of Malcolm X and Martin Luther King Jr. on God and Human Beings), Relief (Universitas Gadjah Mada) No 1, January 2003. pp. 83-108. ISSN 1673-203X.
- Latief, Hilman. “Makanan dan Spiritualitas: Telaah terhadap wacana dan Tradisi Agama-agama” (Food and Spirituality: an Examination of Religious Traditions), Tarjih, No. 4, July, 2002, pp. 10-25. ISSN 1410-332X.
- Latief, Hilman. “Black Hermeneutics: Teologi dan Tafsir Keagamaan Bernuansa Ras,” (Black Hermeneutics: Theology and Racial Exegesis of the Religious Discourse) Islamadina, (Universitas Muhammadiyah Purwekerto) (November 2002). pp. 15-31. ISSN 1412-4777
- Latief, Hilman. “Kontribusi Teoretik Strukturalisme Linguistik dalam Wacana Hermeneutika Al-Quran” (Theoretical Contribution of the Linguistics Structuralism in the Discourse of Quranic Hermeneutics) Mukaddimah (Kopertais DIY) No. 10. VII 2001, pp. 53-69. ISSN 0853-6759.
- Latief, Hilman. “Agama Madani, Negara dan Ligitimasi Multikultural di Indonesia“ (Civil Religion, State, and Multi-Cultural Legitimization in Indonesia) Media Inovasi, No. 4 TH. X / 2001. ISSN 0215-7160, pp. 78-82.
- Latief, Hilman. “Pergeseran Gagasan ‘Islam Kultural’ di Indonesia: Mencari Arah Baru Tradisionalisasi, Purifikasi dan Modernisasi“(The Shift of ‘Cultural Islam’ in Indonesia: Searching for a New Direction of Traditionalization, Purification, and Modernization), Perspektif, No. 2/ III/2001.
- Latief, Hilman. “Kritisisme Tekstual dan Relasi Interkontekstualitas dalam Interpretasi Teks Al-Quran” (Textual Criticism and Inter-contextual Relation in Interpreting Quran), Media Inovasi, No. 2 TH. X / 2000. ISSN 0215-7160, pp. 101-110.